The Promise of A New Day

Sleep is so underrated. A solid eight hours dotted with dreamy strange images and story lines is priceless for the mind, body and spirit. I am blessed with the ability to fall asleep within minutes, sometimes seconds of my noggin hitting the pillow. I can also wake in the night to make use of the facilities and drift right back to sleep - occasionally I nod off on the toilet. It's a gift.

Despite loving slumber, I do delight in rising early. This morning I was up at 5am enjoying the brisk August morning, tending to the giant breeds and sipping coffee. The magical hours between my waking up and anyone else stirring in the house are mine and mine alone to continue to dream awake. I think of meals to prepare, projects for the day and listen to the silence.

Today I will putter about, straighten up the girls' room, nothing too taxing, but sitting around isn't going to cut it. Tonight I will make Frito Pie for The Donald and Lauren, fried Calamari for moi and fix a batch of Wedding Cake cocktails, courtesy of a co-worker's suggestion and gift of gin and amaretto. I've never tried one, but if it tastes as good as it sounds, I'm all in.

I've been reading lots of inspirational quotes and the common thread I keep being drawn to is the 'if you can dream it, you can do it.' concept. It's appealing in it's simplicity and taunts me to go places I haven't yet dared to go. At some point today, I'll jot down a few things that I love to do and stare at them, maybe squint a little, and try to find that dream. There's something there that I haven't yet dreamt. I'll know it when I see it.

'Always remember this whole thing started with a dream and a mouse.' - Walt Disney

Comments

Popular Posts