Freshman

On Saturday morning we left for Pauls Smith College in the Adirondacks to drop Ashlee off at college, eldest birdie leaving the nest. At 6:45am we headed west. There is no east west road through Maine, it's all back roads. Normally we head out on a trip and within seconds Ashlee is fast asleep. Not this trip, she was awake clear through Vermont.

We arrived at the Lake Champlain Ferry at 12:25pm, a 10 minute ride into NY state. The Donald got out to stretch his legs while I googled the depth of Lake Champlain, 500'. More importantly was the story of Champ, the sea monster that lives in Lake Champlain. It was daylight and I was sadly missing the darkness and a flashlight to shine at my chin as I said to Ashlee, "You've heard of Champ right?" She looked at me, surely she rolled her eyes. I continued, "The story goes, that every year....." I paused and looked around, dammit the flashlight would have been AWESOME!.... "Champ eats one Freshman." This was answered with, "Mom, SHUT UP."

We arrived in Lake Placid around 2:00:pm to check into the hotel/motel and immediately head out in search of food. Lake Placid is a cool town, still home to Olympians in training, funky stores line the main drag, eateries, glass blowing artisans and lots of folks speaking French and smoking - ah, how chic! We found delicious burgers and then headed off to pickup groceries and deliver the Freshman.

At early check in, no one is around. We drove about campus for a while then hit up security who handed Ashlee a key and off to the dorm we went. Thankfully she was on the first floor, so we went in, popped out the screen and then shoved everything in through the window. She was focused on setting it up her way, which meant we had little to do and were done quickly. We strolled over to the student center, locked ourselves out then walked back over to the dorm.

It was hard. Even though she hasn't been around all summer, it was hard. Saying goodbye and leaving your child in a quiet, stinky (I have to send her some air fresheners) room alone is tough, worrying about whether she'll eat enough is terrifying. It's my job to worry, I'll never rise to my mom's level of fret, but I worry. My faith lies in Ashlee believing in Ashlee and embracing, freedom, academia, hospitality management and thriving.

In my dementia riddled old age, I'd like to find myself in a hotel lobby, drinking delicious wine, nibbling on outrageously scrumptious food and telling anyone in earshot, "You like it here? This is my daughter's place, use a coaster you filthy animal." I know she won't let me sing in the lounge, but she can't watch me all the time!

Best of everything Ash. <3 Mama

Comments

Popular Posts