Zucchini Canoes

Plants abhor me. I've managed to grow a nice herb garden this year, but that is the extent of my agricultural savvies. I love summer squash and zucchini and apparently one plant doesn't provide an ample bounty for just a normal household, but rather small countries and nearby planets. I can only guess that the harvest comes at once and it's pick or be picked. Heck I just learned of sleeper zucchinis - the ones that lay low for several weeks and then are spotted like Russian subs off the coast of Nantucket (The Russians Are Coming!, they don't make them like that anymore eh?)

My father gave me pumpkin seeds, explained making a mound, planting and how exciting it was to watch them grow and look out - they get huge!! Nothing. The plants grew a bit, but no pumpkins. He'd call and ask, "How are your pumpkins?" and I'd answer, "What pumpkins?" Chipmunks maybe? He also gave me seeds for pickles. You know they are cucumbers, I know they are cucumbers, but to him they are pickles looking for a brining.

Tina gifted me some zucchinis and I followed one of Dad's recipes, he may confuse cucumbers and pickles and think we are here because of aliens, but dag gone, he makes some mean stuffed zucchinis.

1 large zucchini (the kind that people feel compelled to ask you, 'You happy to see me or is that a zucchini?')
1/2 white onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 links of sausage, dealers choice, I'm a hot Italian girl (actually I'm German nad Polish)
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Cheese shredded(you pick, it's all about you)

Preheat oven to 375. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out the center, making a canoe. Put each canoe on a piece of aluminum foil, enough to seal it up. Cook the sausage (nuking works here). Saute the onions and bell peppers in olive oil, salt and pepper until soft. Chop the sausage into small pieces, mix with onions, pepper and spoon into the canoe. Cover with cheese, wrap them up and bake for 45 minutes.

As an alternate, you can chop the zucchini and saute them with the sausage and then top with cheese. This is for someone (me hungry) who is impatient.

It's hearty and loaded with veggies!

Comments

Popular Posts