Lady and the Tramp Meal

Lady and The Tramp is my favorite Disney movie. My mother, Lenox collector extraordinaire, gave me a figurine of Lady and Tramp sharing the spaghetti and meatball meal where the chef says, "Oh look! It's a little cockera-spanisha-girl!"

Spaghetti and meatballs to me is like a hot bath, I don't indulge often, but when I do, it's heavenly and delightful to savor.

Today I was in high speed ADD, I woke, put bacon on a cooling rack on a baking sheet and tossed that into the oven, then hollowed out zucchinis for canoes, defrosted hot sausages for those, chopped an onion, green pepper, threw the fix ins for hot wing dip in the crock (I'll share that later), then chocolate chip cookies, knowing all along, the floors needed cleaning AGAIN and the upstairs bathroom and loft needed a good scrubbing. Dad arrives Thursday, my roots are skunking, I stupidly promised the Donald eggs Benedict for breakfast and I know we talked of spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

Everything was done by 4:45 but dinner had yet to be started. I didn't make my own sauce/gravy, I rarely do. I applaud those that do.

Play by play:

Fill a large pot with water, add a handful (yes a handful) of kosher salt, put that on low. I will point out that this is a nice way to add heat to a home. Preheat oven to 375 - convection if you've got it.

Grab a baking sheet, line it with aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil.

Open your favorite jarred tomato sauce and pour it into a sauce pan, add a bit of water to the jar, to clean out the bits and allow for evaporation during warming, toss into sauce. Cover and set on low.

Grab a pound of ground sirloin, toss it in the kitchen mixer, add an egg, 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. dried basil, 1 tsp. dried parsley, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, healthy pinch of salt, several grinds of pepper, mix until combined.

Form into large balls, 2" diameter and place on the baking sheet, bake for 25 minutes. The nice thing about doing them in the oven is, they don't stick, you don't bust them up by moving them around in a frying pan, cleanup is a snap and they get nice and crunchy brown. {cleanup- wash mixer bowl and paddle}

Remove meatballs, toss them in with the sauce/gravy, cover and simmer. Crank pasta water up to high, a rolling boil is what we are looking for here. {carefully fold up aluminum foil and this cleanup is done}

Toss garlic bread (you know the stuff they have ready in the store) in the oven.

Cook pasta. Meanwhile move meatballs and sauce to a deep sided frying pan. {cleanup - wash saucepan} Drain pasta and dump into pan with balls and sauce, heat until bubbling, mixing the pasta completely with the sauce.

Uncork wine, transfer spaghetti and meatballs to serving dish, {cleanup - wash deep dish frying pan}grab a hunk of Parmesan and the grater. For the love of GOD get the garlic bread out of the oven before it burns!!!

Pour wine, serve, take a bite, close your eyes and purrrrrrrrrr, I mean awoof :-)

Comments

Popular Posts