What the....???

My commute to work is 17 miles, for the past several years I've been transporting each of the girls, first Ashlee, until she got her license and now Lauren to Lincoln Academy. On the way, I slow down they know to tuck and roll. It's not perfect but it works for us.

Ashlee and I had conversations that ended with, "Mom I KNOW!" I annoyed her with every ounce of my being. Lauren and I can start out in a good mood, fighting, screaming, not talking at all or singing - it's any one's guess and by the time we get about 8 miles into the drive, we're over any spats or she's told me to stop singing or I ask who sings a song and then suggest to let them. We let it go.

Usually we see wildlife on our drive to or from school. It's getting to be a bit much. In late July we were on our way to work, Lauren to do landscaping and me to slavitate, when we came upon a cow in the road, staring at a road cone, maybe he was a bull, not sure, but he was intrigued by the pylon. He wasn't terribly big, but very muscular. We stopped, and I got out to shoo him along. He ran towards the fence and I jumped back in the car and we were off again. I did have to explain that we couldn't 'keep him'.

Unbelievably, last Friday, same cow, same yard. We were delighted and perplexed. Did he live there? Was he up for the summer? He had an ornery look on his face and surely he was up to no good. No fence in sight either.

I shit you not, this morning, same cow, same yard. Lauren yelled, 'There he is!!!' Well, now we need to find out who this guy is, I think I know who might know. I'd love to find out his name is Grover or Mister Mister or Thor God Of Thunder or he goes by a symbol like &.

Just a couple weeks ago we came across three cows at Cow Shit Corner lose (yes, it's an actual place) and I corralled them down their driveway, only to realize a big section of the fence was down and after I passed it and turned around, ALL the cows were out. The constant tooting of my horn alerted the migrant workers to set aside whatever they were smoking and round them up. I was amazed at how fast those guys ran, Lauren said it's how they get across the border. I'm not saying that's okay, but it was funny no less.

I like seeing cows, sometimes if I'm alone I'll stop and chat, they are wonderful listeners. I would however like them safely behind fences, for their safety and to keep my car insurance to a minimum.

Comments

  1. I live just down the road from some of the best sweet corn on the planet. Over seven hundred acres of farmland and all the usual fixin's one would expect from a such a spread. The owners, the Perkins family, are a great pair, as friendly and as trusting as you can get. They leave tons of produce out on the farm stand that they run and let you take what you want after hours with the expectation that you leave the fee in the cup. Too cool for the town! What your posting reminded me of was the hundreds of cows that they own and all the personalities that go with them. Some are shy and boring others full of wonderment and friendly as hell. Maybe the Gods are sending you some kind of sign. I saw this in a Twilight Zone episode once! These heifers just appear out of nowhere, thousands of them. At first nobody knows what to make of it, then after a while the local children start to like them, with the other town folk soon to follow. Eventually they were accepted and allowed to roam freely. It WAS a while ago. I can't remember if they all lived happily ever after, leaving you, the viewer, with a sense of hope and belief in humanity as a whole or if the cows just lulled the folks into a false sense of security and beat them all to death with modified cattle prods when they slept. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though. Now might be a good time to start eating more chicken and fish. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts