Thar She Blows!

Gabrielle is our Newfoundland, she needs to lose weight, yesterday she ate a stick of butter, it's not going well. She has always had a food obsession. I'm not sure if she was taken from her mother too soon or perhaps was dropped on her head as a pup or she's just like me and loves food.

When she was 5 months old my parents came to visit for a week. This included my mother bringing coupons, calendars, nail files she got from home shows, notepads from the same home show, pictures, gifts for the girls, those round rubber bottle openers from another home show, plants, a Lenox Christmas ornament for the coming Christmas and a wooden thing that is used for pulling out an oven rack AND pushing it in - a twofer, she showered us with trinkets.

On this visit Mom also brought he makings of a special candy treat that we were going to make together, it contained pretzels, Hershey's kisses and M&M's, a tri-goodiness. She left the food items in her suitcase and it was portered upstairs.

As we were sorting through the 'Nana Loot', getting Pop a beer, 'First one today in this spot!' and catching up Gabby wandered off. At some point someone noticed she was missing and organized the search party for the 45lbs brat. We found her in Lauren's room where Mom and Dad were staying. Mom yelled, "She's in the pretzels!!" I grabbed a hold of her collar and yanked, she was well into pretzels, almost done as a matter of face. The M&M's were still in tact however the Hershey's Kisses didn't make it. Shit.

I ran downstairs yelling, "Gabby ate a pound of chocolate! Get me the phone!" I called the vet's office and opted to page the on call. Dr. Whatshername called back. I explained that Gabby managed to woof down a bag of kisses. She laughed and said, "Oh dear, okay, give her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, you might want to do this in the shower because she's going to vomit." Hey, the day's getting better by the minute! I hung up the phone and announced the orders. We grabbed the hydrogen peroxide, a flash light and took her outside. Why would you let the dog throw up in the shower? Who does that?

We took Gabby outside and I measured a tablespoon of peroxide, had the girls hold her and open her mouth, had Mom hold the flashlight and I sprinkled the peroxide into her mouth. We all took a step back. The face Gabby made was the same one she later made when she swam in the ocean and tried to drink the salt water, kind of squinty. We stood outside chatting a bit and waiting. Nothing, not even a burp. We didn't have all night for Christ's sake. "Okay, let's try again." I instructed. Everyone assumed their posts and this time I just poured the peroxide down her throat. She knew it was coming so the holding was difficult and the flashlight beam was being bounced all over hell's manger as Mom was jumping about and yelling words of encouragement.

Again we waited. After a few minutes I looked at Lauren and said, "Run her up and down the hill." I thought agitation would hurry up the process. Lauren ran up and down the big hill twice. Nothing. "Okay, one more time then I'm calling the vet again." We got into position, we were pros now and I poured more down her throat. She was not liking this new game at all. I no sooner put the lid on the bottle when I heard a noise, it came from deep in her belly and she began the rhythmic convulsions. "She's gonna blow!!!" We jumped back and my god, the dog exploded. Mom aimed the flashlight down and I said, "Well look at that! They are still in the aluminum wrappers!" Ashlee ran into the house convulsing as well.

When we finally made our way back inside to report on the festivities Dad was standing there holding a beer, "First one today in this hand!" Cute dad.

Comments

Popular Posts