I fell

I'm not graceful, I can dance, I have rhythm but I fall a lot, not while dancing - I'm just trying to point out that while I fall a lot I can still bust a move. I once fell while caroling. I was wearing my full length quilted LL Bean Down coat so I basically bounced right back up. I almost landed on a dead squirrel and that would have sucked audibly.

I fall up stairs a lot - I think it has to do with the toes of my shoes and their exact ratio to the stair treads. If it's even an eight of an inch off, I'm clipping it and sprawling forward yelling, "I'm okay!!!"

I've fallen on ice, no ice, wet grass, a newly polished floor, down a hill, up a hill, out of a vehicle, while running, and the best was down a flight of stairs.

I was hosting a fondue party on a Friday night. I had to get through the work day, pickup some sunflowers and a vase and go home to fondue my butt off. I was at a customer's site and as I was leaving, descending their wooden, untreaded stairs my sling back slipped. It happened in real time slo-motion, you know the kind. My knees both bent and I pitched forward, at the same time I, like Lindsey Summers grabbed for the banister. I slid down about 6 stairs on my shins until I finally hauled myself to a stop using the railing. I stopped and was so mortified I jumped right up. A woman on the lower level jumped up and asked if I was okay, I responded, "Oh yeah, I slipped a little." WTF?? My shins to this day are slightly ademic and numb. During fondue Friday my feet swelled and turned a lovely shade of jade.

So now I take my time, test shiny surfaces and I still fall. I also know that when I do fall, I need to let it go and roll with it. I do still however yell, "I'm okay." I'm never okay, either I'm hurt or my pride is.

Comments

Popular Posts