The Koncussion Kid

Lauren is the youngest of my two darling daughters. She's 15 and I refer to her as Katherine, I refer to the oldest as Audrey, they are the Hepburn's and I can't buy enough hair dye. I remember hearing people complain about teenagers, I remember being a teenager and yet, nothing prepared me for the toll these two creatures would take on me. They are relentless. I still love them, I have to, oh geez they are great.

Lauren and I can laugh hysterically about the dumbest things, we ramp each other up to the disgust of my eldest and The Donald, then we laugh when they get mad. It's maddening, but it's what we do.

Fall of 2010 Lauren was a freshman at Lincoln Academy. Lincoln is a 60/40 school, it's private but not, we're not sure really what it is, but the word Academy is very prestige's and we toss it about willy nilly. Anyway, Lauren tried out for soccer and made varsity. Some folks found this surprising, not me, she spent the ENTIRE summer booting a soccer ball around the yard and working on the heavy bag. You never know when you need to suddenly box a soccer opponent. Lauren is 5'6" and built like an Amazon, she's gorgeous. Tall, muscular, confident-sorta, strong and beautiful. I'm terribly proud but also a bit afraid, however I've explained to her, "As strong as you are, I'm crazy Mom strong, so don't mess." Then I snap my fingers in a circle, turn quickly and walk away.

Soccer season was a treat until Lauren made head on head contact with another player, boom! Down she went. I don't know how to explain my reaction or feeling. I was initially paralyzed as I watch and then I heard my mother saying, "Get up! Get up!" and I waited, I certainly didn't want to be the Mom that rushes the field and freaks out. They waved me over. The coach explains that she lost conscienceness and should really get checked out - I drove her to the ER and they ran some tests. She was fine. *sigh*

Throughout the season she banged heads with anyone who would play, she hit head balls, we bought a gel band, she was determined to do serious damage, she's an over achiever. The last game of the season our family friend Anna was in attendance. Anna is the best. We're watching the game and doing all sorts of inappropriate color commentary from the sidelines. Lauren head slams someone else, she went right down. I sat calmly and watched. I wouldn't rush the field. The Donald headed down and finally I was flagged down. My resistance to heading to the scene seems to revolve around not overreacting but really it's about not making it real. The ambulance arrived and they loaded Lulu (yeah, that's our nickname for her) into the back.

The hospital is 2 miles away, the sirens don't even complete a full symphony before dis barking on the ER.  She went in and we waited and waited. They finally let us in to see her, but they were prepping her for an MRI and she didn't know who they were playing, F^#!. We waited and The Donald offered to go home to let the giant dogs out and off he went. Anna and I moved to the ER waiting room. There we found the coach and 6 other teammates. These aren't quite people and really we weren't either. We sat in the waiting room and had crude, silly and awkward conversations. One player was talking about the Baconator from McDonald's, her nickname from now until eternity is Baconator - she's cute, she can pull it off.

The coach reassured, we all got yelled out for being to loud, "Please keep it down! This is an emergency room!" We all looked around, it was only us??? Whatever. The doctor came in and gave us a very stern lecture about concussions, soccer and all the latest research. The comforting part was knowing that she was okay and the season was over, thank god!!! The doctor's last word was, "Don't eat anything heavy and get some rest." Yup, okay, got it. We left the hospital and went to McDonalds. We pulled up in the drive through and ordered. Number 4, number 8, the woman in the speaker box asked, "do you want an apple pie." The two fools in the car with me both answered, "Yeah!" I'm not sure what made it so, but those quarter pounders were amazing, really they were delicious. Anna found her apply pie the next day in the bottom of her purse. Lauren was done for the season but with that being the last game, not much of a slide for a squeeze.

Soccer starts up this summer, she needs to learn to bob and weave. *sigh*.

Comments

Popular Posts