Lunch Delivered

One day while living at the Lake House Lauren took Shelby our dog for a walk down to the point. Lauren was five at the time and not that Shelby was a terrific guard dog, but we were in Maine and I knew Lauren wouldn't wander into the lake - those are solid maternal instincts at work there folks! About 15 minutes later Lauren comes flying into the house, with Shelby bouncing around her. She yells, like Little Red Riding Hood from Bugs Bunny, "Scotty Barbour is down at Orff's house building a deck and he doesn't have a lunch!!!"  She leans forward on her knees and catches a few breaths, she continue, "He asked if we had anything he could have for lunch, he'll PAY us!!!"

I smiled and said, "I think we can whip something up." We scurried around the kitchen, I boiled two hot dogs, toasted rolls, we stuffed a sandwich bag with chips, wrapped 3 chocolate chip cookies and threw in two cans of soda. We were downright frantic, the man was starving after all.

We stuffed everything into a medium sized paper back and I handed it to Lauren and said, "Now, Scott is going to offer to give you some money and you tell him 'No thank you.' He'll offer again and then you can accept it. Do you understand?' She nodded her head and darted out the door, with Shelby in tow.

About 30 minutes later she came back into the house. I said, "Hey how did Scott like his lunch?" She said, "Mom he was so hungry! He asked me if I'd stay and keep him company while he ate, so I did. We talked about dogs, the lake, building decks... he's doing a really good job down there at Orffs. He said that was the best lunch he ever had and he gave me two dollars, I didn't take it the first time though, I waited til he offered a second time and then I said, 'Thank you, anytime.'

A couple weeks later Lauren came running up from the point with Shelby and again out of breath, "Mom, Dad! There's giant woodpecker at the point!! And he's slamming his pecker against the tree!!"  Cute kid.

Comments

Popular Posts