Contest Results...

Today was Hot Dog Eating Contest Day and pardon the belching, it's been going on since about 3:40pm.

The field was narrowed down to the children's division and the adults. First the kiddos. Emerson 3 and Payson 4 eating at the pace of my, may she rest in peace, grandmother. They had no buns, an unbelievable amount of ketchup, which spawned another whole contest idea in my noggin, and 10 minutes. They tied at 2.5 each. My favorite moment was when Emerson just layed down on the picnic table seat. The best part of the contest, they are the bestest of friends - how cool is that??!!

Now the adult portion of our program. The Days - Meredith and Matt brought the cooking vessel, gas stove thingy, Meredith made crowns, with Ashley's help, had a table cloth, trays, awards, my god she was into this! Matt was on board once we pumped Pepsi into him.

Tina had recognized the need for score cards, place cards, a timer (seems trival and yet CRITICAL!!!), cups, I don't even know what else - oh right, she brought her husband who mopped the floor with us!!!

Jenna made a custom t-shirt for the winner - this did involve some editing. Her first suggestion, "GOT WEINERS?" on the front and "CAUSE I'LL EAT 'EM" was struck down.

There was a flurry of activity, a buzz, an excitement that was beneath the surface, unless you ran into me and heard me scream, "I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T F*@#%ING STAND IT!!!"

People started assembling, we had the single largest turnout from Central Station ever, if you know what that means, it's huge for company morale, I will capitalize on this!!

We all sat, I went over the rules, to avoid conflict, maybe a work lesson in there??? and we were off.

I swear to Christ it was 2 minutes into the event when someone said, "Steve is on his 4th hot dog." WTF?

Let me set the scene. Picnic table: Steve, Tina's husband sat at one end, Paul Foley, landscaper, plow dude, carpentry and now Goat Whisperer Extraordinaire at the other end. To Steve's right, Lauren, to his left me. My left Sequoia Joe (6' a lot'' Operator, 21 killer dude) to Lauren's right Aidan, Foley's 8 year old son.

It's hard eating a lot quickly, I can graze all day and night but force feeding? Which brings to mind poor Josh who was tasked with getting the trash can to any contestant in fear of 'reversing their fortune' aka barfing. Josh said, "May I ask what the sign is for need the bin?" As he held the bin up with fear in his eyes. It was a raised hand. He understood.

Off we go. The contest starts. Steve and Joe were on a whole 'nuther level. They were cramming dogs in... Lauren and I were going for 'slow and steady wins the race' and Foley was trash talking out of the gate. "Michele, you look like you're at a rest stop." Nice Foley. Sitting across from my daughter was entertaining. She and I were making faces, I asked her what she wanted for dinner, the Doele Comedy Routine was in full swing. Joe on the other hand was focused, focused man, focused. Steve was a locomotive, no other word to describe his efforts. Jesus H. There came a point where Steve 'made room' and I believe elderly couples in neighboring Edgecomb said, "Mabel, was that thunder?" and she replied, "Huh? Earl, I can't hear you over the thunder!" Steve belched for what seemed a season! I've never heard gas like that - ExxonMobil should be reaching out to him.

Foley said, "Pardon me, could I have more water please?" and that's when Jenna said, "Hmmm, this is a lot more civilized than I thought it would be." Love her.

I asked for a dessert menu and Steve said, "It's only got hot dogs on it."

I'm telling you after 4 hot dogs, I wasn't sure I could continue, but I knew for certain I couldn't stop. What a dilemma. End of contest, I got down 4.5, Lauren 4.75. Paul 7, Joe almost 11, Steve 11. Aidan wandered off, but that's cool.

Nutshell I lost. I LOVED every minute of it planning, setup during and after.

We at Northeast Security Systems have found something we can rally around - FOOD!!! (let me point out we do an UNBELIEVABLE job at our real jobs - we are amazing!) but the food thing is such  a glorious morale boosting distraction. Next stop? Why Officer Day, in your honor it's pie eating, bring your game face and not that horrid Red Sox cap. :)

*burp*

Comments

Popular Posts