Old School Dinners

As Lauren was setting the table tonight for dinner, she said, "You know you guys are old school parents." Despite grappling with a wine cork I managed to ask her to explain. "You've always expected us to set the table, clear the table and we sit down at the table to eat together." I dropped to my knees and said, "Lord, I'd like to finish staining the deck, I know I said 'strike me dead if these kids ever get it' but the deck looks half done. You can have me on Monday, although Monday is a holiday and I'm off, let's say Tuesday!?"

Actually what I said was, "Don't your friends sit down to dinner at the table?" She answered quickly, "Nope." Here I thought Oprah had taken care of this and encourage everyone to sit down, if not every night at least one night a week to share dinner. Maybe it was John Tesh's job? You know whose job it is? It's ours. Make time and a homemade meal, set the table, sit down, eat, talk, laugh and be happy in the moment. I can't tell you the number of meals at the dining room table, oh yes, the dining room, where I've sat and just watched everyone, smiling, knowing these are the good old days.

Last weekend I posted on FB about a roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans, Ashlee, the college child comments, "ughh that sounds so good!" I think the gathering for feast itself was more appealing than the menu. The kids have always loved our dining room meals.

I use the wedding china, I haul out the silver, I will pomp and circumstance the shit out of an ordinary meal. It warms my soul, it feeds my family and guests and it's the basis of nurturing.

I have rules: (OCD has to play a part, you understand and these are from my childhood)

1. Do not eat until everyone is seated.
2. Do not speak with food in your mouth (I don't care if you are trying to mutter out, "Kitchen Fire!" swallow first you pig)
3. Do not reach for food, ask for it to be passed.
4. Do not get up when you are done eating, pardon yourself and those of you that are kiddos, ask to be excused.
5. Children clear the table and during dinner parties start the coffee and make me smile when guest say, "Do you PAY them to do this?" Yes, they are paid with no beatings for that particular evening. Actually, the really cool part about this is, once the children hear the compliments about how wonderful they are, they will do it EVERY time without being asked. Trust me. Ask mine. It is a phenomenon.
6. Relax, Savor, Enjoy and Compliment!!! Love and care goes into the preparation, appreciate it. I couldn't be a happier gal then when someone says, "This is delicious." If someone takes the time to prepare a meal for you, thank them, sincerely, it literally means the world. And I don't care what it tastes like.

The other morning on the radio the trivia questions was what percentage of parents would prefer their kids to have good manner instead of good grades. If I wasn't such a buffoon, I could find the answer on the web. I hope it's high. I hope we are not losing site of old school manners and family, whatever family means to you. It's our job.

Comments

Popular Posts