I'm a dog person

I like cats but dogs crack me the hell up. They have wonderfully positive attitudes, the truly look sorry when they do something wrong, they always hope to drive home from the store (why else do you think they jump in the driver's seat?) and they greet you better after 30 minutes than most humans do after 30 years.

At home I've always been surrounded by silly giant breeds. The regal afghan is just a goofball over actor with model looks. The serious Newfoundland is a food-whore garbage-digging protector who just wants a treat and a good butt rub, but who doesn't?

At work I frequently have the pleasure of the company of two inn dogs.

Robusto is a Romanian street dog, very cool looking, shortish hair, multi colored, pointy snout and a world class player. Often you can find Busto lying in the lobby soaking up the sun and making people walk around him. If you are a guest for breakfast you may be greeted in the dining room by a very gentle dog who sits and maybe just maybe if you're acceptable he will softly place his paw on your knee. He seems to work the crowd and knows who makes for the best victims. He's given bits of bacon, sausage, scones and lord knows what else. If caught in the act of working the floor too much he will stage a peaceful protest throwing himself to the floor in an Oscar winning performance of  going limp. Oddly, the only way to persuade him to move involves bacon. Coincidence? I think not. When he wants something, to eat, to go for a walk, for you to shut up and pay attention to him he will bark nonstop. His schedule is controlled by him and him alone. Occasionally he skips a daily hike only to let his parents have it with both barrels upon their return. Recently on a weekend getaway he went limp at an outdoor restaurant and had to be carried to the car. I don't doubt for a second that he winked at anyone watching this show.



Then there's Pearl. A gregarious yellow lab. So happy is Pearl that her B-hind wags along with her tail. The first time I met Pearl was my first interview when she jumped up on my chair and delivered a bitey kiss to my ear that had me checking for my earring and blood. During my second interview I was nose to nose with her while my boss chatted with guests, she lunged, moray eel style at my face. I was relieved that my lip didn't split and learned my lesson about getting in Pearl's face. She means no harm, she's just so excited to see you that she wants to swallow you whole!!

Unlike Robusto, Pearl heading into the dining room is trouble, sure she greets the guests but then she makes a beeline for the continental breakfast table and starts helping herself to anything within reach. If she is in the inn when I'm pulling chocolate chip cookies out of the oven she'll come see how that's going for me. If she doesn't show up I look for her. This is usually when we realize she has somehow gotten up to the rooms and is helping herself to the candy and cookies in the rooms. Don't let her angelic sweet smile fool you, she knows where the loot is and when to attack. I avoid putting out chocolates for tea because the last time I did she enjoyed the truffles and then a peroxide spritzer followed by barfapalooza.

It's amazing the effect these two have on the staff, the guests and the owners. Whenever they come through everyone does that talk, 'Who's a good boy? Huh? Who's a good boy Busto?' Or when Pearl is running with an empty milk carton and we chase her just to make her run faster saying, 'Gimme that!! I'll get it Pearl!! I'll get you!!!'

Last night at home our Newfie was limping. Lauren had taken her for a swim so we assumed she over did it and her winter hibernation snooze-fest had left her prone to soreness. This morning she was limping again and licking her paw. There is no sound more annoying than a dog cleaning or licking something. After yelling, 'STOP IT!' 'KNOCK IT OFF!' 'CUT IT OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!' I walked over to her and noticed her left paw was turned up and that was what she was licking non-stop. I looked closer and stuck into her pad was a FISHHOOK! And the bad mother award goes to Michele Doele, I'd like to thank my family, my producer and my lord and savior Jesus Christ.

I grabbed her paw which had her grabbing it back, me grabbing it again and explaining calmly that I was going to help her. She wasn't buying this and it may have been from watching me dig splinters out of the kids or re-piercing Ashlee's ear with just an earring and will power. The hook was one of those multiple hook things and yet I only saw one that wasn't embedded and part of another and that was it. I tried to yank a little and she got pissed and then stood up. I called to Lauren, 'Lauren, I need your help now!' You know this tone. It says, 'This is an emergency, do not ask questions, get here NOW.' Lauren came down and I explained the problem. She quickly grabbed her collar and leash to hold her, I tried to grab the hook again, this wasn't working at all. Gus the kitten was horrified and curious as only a kitten could be. I went to the garage for pliers and Lauren took Gabby to the kitchen for a treat, we were working together as a finely trained team, remember we composted Elwood the goat, we know what we're doing. Lauren held the treat and you could see the tunnel vision take over Gabby. 'treat treat treat treat treat treat treat...' I bent her leg, put the pliers to the hook and yanked. Once small yip and it was done. Gus made a run for the stairs.



Gabby has stopped limping and is snoring quite loudly right now. Our canine friends are precious, they make us laugh, yell, cry, fill our hearts and enrich our lives. We hurt when they hurt, we cry when they run away and we fret when they devour 8oz. of aged Stilton, Pearl.





Comments

Popular Posts