I spoke too soon....

I'd like to thank the dog network for putting my last blog high on their list - word got out...

This morning I woke up at 4:45am to the clock tower bells of my ipad. The Donald had spent the night in the hospital after his surgery to drain an abscess in his throat. The one that shows up every 10 years like it's a class reunion. I showered and explained to Gabby the Newfie that I'd let her out in a second, short shower. Today was a non-washing hair day - it keeps my hair soft and extends the coloration duration expectation (sorry, didn't mean to go all Johnny Cocharan there).

I showered quickly and then let Gabby out. I was back in the bathroom dabbing under eye circle lightener to delicate areas and thinking Andie what's her face is a witch and perhaps an android from Alf's planet when I heard Gabby bark. A dog, like a child, has distinctive barks - kids have cries you get the idea, that let you know things like, 'I want to come in.' or 'I'm hungry!' or 'GET OUT HERE NOW, SHIT IS GOIN' DOWN!!!' This was the shit going down bark. I ran out of the bathroom in my 'new to me' cropped pants from the consignment store. I still longingly look for those gap roman shade roll up pants, they were the bomb. And a sports bra. Not because I was going to kick ass on the tennis court or spin class or even a brisk walk. I was sporting up the gals for kitchen duty. It's a workout.

When I let Gabby out I opened the door to the garage, there's a screen door too. Then I open the car garage door and off she goes. I left the inside door open to give some air flow. When I heard the bark sounding the alarm I came out of the bedroom and turned towards the garage expecting to see Gabby at the door, instead I saw a Husky sitting on the other side of the screen door. Weird thing is, we didn't have a Husky when I went to bed. Hmmph.

Beyond the Husky was Gabby standing all poofed out in the overhead doorway. When she gets mad she gets bigger, like the hulk. She was hulked the hell out. The Husky was looking at me and if he could have talked he would have said, "Excuse me kind lady, would you mind letting me in before that bear over there devours me?" I saw he had a collar, which eased my anxiety over being bitten - even though I love dogs, I love my skin unmarred. The Huskie ran into the garage around my '09 Chevy Cobalt in cobalt that gets 36 mpg. Gabby made a beeline for the screen door. It appears that her concern was not for our safety but rather her breakfast - gotta eat, gotta eat, gotta eat. One track friggin mind. 'I'll handle the strange dog with the big teeth - thanks anyway!'

I let her in and then went back to trying to coax the Husky to me. He was really timid and this seemed to be a job that required my sidekick. I ran upstairs after shouting to no avail and opened Lauren's bedroom door. 'Lauren, I need your help, there's a Husky in our garage.' Here we go again. I looked around and said, 'Oh you rearranged you room, it looks nice!'

Lauren came down and fashioned some kind of lasso out of a leash and wrangled the Husky. Swear to God. 'His name is Hunter.' Okay, we're making progress. I turn around to go get my phone and standing in the screen doorway is Gabby, 150lbs. of scary and under her Gus - weighing in at a whopping 1 lbs. and looking like he was quite pleased with his 'team'.

I called and left messages with both numbers. A minute later my phone rang. 'Hi, you have Hunter?' I explained that we did and our address, she told me her address and I repeated it aloud. At which point Lauren chimed in, "Oh that's the lesbians." Alrighty then we had some context! The owner explained she was on her way to get him.

I headed off to work and saw her walking with her leash. I stopped and introduced myself, after 11 years we should know each other. She appreciated the help and apologized for any problems it caused. No problem at all I explained. In fact I believe it has made Gabby and Gus team awesome. :)

Comments

Popular Posts