Newfoundlands


A dear friend of mine tragically lost one of her Newfie's Friday night and knowing how hard it is to lose a pet and so suddenly I offered anything he might need.  She has another Newfie that she suggested might be in need of some socializing with 'kin'. I was happy to oblige!

Yesterday when I arrived home from work I let Gabby out and yelled after her, "After you have your suppah you're getting brushed - you're not going on a playdate looking like that young lady!"

She didn't even acknowledge me and I know her inner dialogue was, "Pee then suppah, pee then suppah, pee then suppah." as she waddled out to the yard. I'm pretty sure her other inner dialogues are, "Pee then breakfast, pee then breakfast, pee then breakfast." and "Ooooh goodie, they forgot to secure the garbage - SCORE!"
She woofed at the back basement door but I was busy straightening up and doing after work things like refilling the coffee maker for the morning, cleaning my coffee mug, getting dinner fixings ready and turning on the Zen DirecTV music channel which unwinds me a bit. Patience not being one of her virtues, I heard a woof minutes later at the garage door. I let her in...

"suppah time, suppah time, suppah time." and off barreled for the basement door. Down the stairs and waiting..... I made her meal and let her know it was okay to eat. She waits for the okay and I usually say something along the lines of, "madam, dinner is served." or "bon appetit" or "the chef sends her very best."

After eating she was at the door again, "poop, poop, poop, poop, poop." I came out a few minutes later with two brushes and we spent some time in the driveway as I raked her under coat out. Every time we heard a car I would ask, "who's that?" and she'd stop panting, put her ears back and raise her eyebrows. She'd freeze like that for a few seconds and then without moving her head at all, she'd turn just her eyes to look at me as if to say, "I don't know, who do YOU think it is?"

I raked out enough hair to reupholster 3 medium size dogs or 18 men with shitty toupees.

I hope the playdate goes well. We've never been on one and the hiking trail leads to the tidal Damariscotta River. Newfies are born swimmers and nothing can keep Gabby from diving in, especially me. I'm quite certain if I don't let her off the leash she'll drag me in as well. Which reminds me I need to put all the beach towels we own over my back seats.

She hasn't seen another Newfie since she left Canada, so that will be interesting too. Being the ripe old age of 9 and how can I put this, a total slouch, she may not make if very far down the trail. She's been known to turn around mid walk and head back home. "nuff of this shit, I gotta lay down!" If only they could talk huh?

I'm certain we'll have a good time and it will be good for my friend and her doggy. Quality time with some drooling giant goofballs is good for the soul. Now if you'll excuse me, gotta pee, gotta pee, gotta pee.

Comments

Popular Posts