Gabby's Play Date

As I mentioned the day before yesterday, Gabby and I were embarking (get it?!) on our first Newfoundland play date. I was a bit worried about how she would handle seeing another Newfie. Here is a picture book kind of story telling of our day. . I posted all of these pics on facebook so apologies for those that have seen these. Not really, you should look at them twice and share with your friends.

Before heading out - Gabby does her, "Whatchew talking 'about Willis?!" When I ask if she wants to go for a ride and a swim? Who doesn't ask their dog questions they damn well know the answer to?

I line the car seats and floor with all the beach towels we own. As you can see we survived the Barney and Rug Rat years.

  1. Photo: This can't end well.

    and we're ready to roll...

    On our trip to the hiking trail along the Damariscotta Tidal River we came upon some road work. The flagger got an ear full and I thought for just a moment we would be up on two wheels as the car began to rock. 

    Gabby met Char, her first Newfie encounter since she left Canada at 10 weeks or so. She wagged her tail and was excited, normally she's more 'on guard' around other dogs, but clearly knew Char was 'her people'. She then pooped. I thought she was just tinkling and crop dusting (technical term for doggy farts) but I was wrong. My friend Cathy didn't seem to mind and Gabby really could have cared less. 

    Then she spotted the pond....

    and was IN the pond. "Is it okay if she goes in there?!" I asked feeling like Gabby was taking all sorts of liberties at this point..... Cathy said it was fine. I have one rude canine. 

    The van was the only mini thing - Gabby managed to get her fat ass in the far back seat while Char calmly stayed on the floor. 


    There are two trails to the water, one is about 1/2 mile and the other is about a mile. Let me google it, please hold....okay, here's a picture, you figure it out. We took the long way there and the short way back. 

    Surprisingly Gabby made it to the water. She's not an avid hiker, walker or even sitter. She sleeps like a boss. She was worn out though and hot. One look at the water and no force on this earth could have kept her from going in, certainly not this force. 

    Char followed quickly and according to Cathy didn't swim that much. Gabby was floating and keeping an eye on Char and us shore folk. 


    We decided to move to the sandy beach .... this involved coming out of the water...

    Kinda looks like a bear here huh?

    On the sandy beach we sat by the drift wood. The dogs checked it out and were less than impressed. 


    Char seemed to have had her share of swimming and wanted to cuddle up with Cathy. Gabby decided she was going to make the most of her outing and take another dip or two or 8.


    Finally she was tired of swimming and came up on the shore and sat almost on top of me. We took a cool selfie/newfie.



Cathy and Char were enjoying a relaxing girls bonding day.


Now the Damariscotta River leads to Damariscotta, you can't get to Atlantic City or The Bada Bing Club, this monster Yacht (pronounced ya-ch-ed) soon turned around. Gabby was staring, she's seen pirates before in Damariscotta, so I could understand her concern.

 It was time to head back and we took the short cut which lead by a fresh water pond, in again!!

Then back on the trail...
But wait, there's the other side of the fresh water pond, in again!!

I have no idea why I can't rotate this picture. Just turn your head.

When we arrived back at the parking area there were two families getting ready to hike, they turned when they heard us and gasped. I said, "They're giving out bears down by the water, go get yourselves one!"

We made it home, Gabby went out, came in, ate, went out again and then passed out in the hallway. Turn up the volume and listen to the snoring. This travels through the wood floors, up the bed frame and right into our pillows.



 the end...

Comments

  1. Beautiful Newfs... One of my favorite breeds, for sure... I'm not owned by one (yet) but will be one day...I live in New(f) Hampshire and I am Auntie to several...I love them to bits!!... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a newfie Auntie! How awesome! We had another adventure yesterday, I've put that post up. She's loving spending quality time with me. New(f) Hamshire - cute! Thank you for the comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts