Feast and Famine

In my very own nutty fashion I started Weight Watchers last Sunday and yet have managed to produce more food than even I could imagine. I'm down three pounds but the fridge is packed.

Yesterday I made Jamaican Jerk Drumsticks in the crock pot and an Apple and Almond Tart. Today at lunch I made a fennel & mushroom salad and tonight we had beef bourguignon, parslied fingerling potatoes and butterscotched pears. I've been recording French Food at Home with Laura Calder, who besides have the most adorable dresses and rather big boobers, is quite talented in the kitchen, producing lovely French dishes that seem very fancy to serve, but approachable in the kitchen.

As always I have the weeks meals planned, written on the fridge and only shopped for what was needed for those meals. It's a great money saver, plus it keeps everyone up to speed on 'what's for dinner?' The Donald is still job hunting and as a result has honed the art of pizza making. Thursday nights are a nice night off for me now. Silver lining.

Below is the recipe for Butterscotched pears.... they were delightful - I only had a taste - Jennifer Hudson would be so proud of me! (phhhtphht!!!)



2 Bosc pears
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. water

Butterscotch
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter
1/4 c. corn syrup
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Whipped Cream
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Pears:
Preheat oven to 375. Peel and halve pears, remove core and that nasty stem that runs through them. Place pears cut side up in a baking dish, sprinkle each with brown sugar, put a dot of butter in the core hole and add water to the baking dish. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.

Butterscotch
In a saucepan combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Heat to a boil. Allow sugar to dissolve well. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream, vanilla and the salt. I did something rather stupid to determine if the sugar is dissolved - I stuck my finger in bubbling caramel - turns out when it bubbles it means it's friggin hot AND because it's caramel it sticks - son of a b*tch!!!

Whipped Cream
In a medium bowl whip cream with sugar and vanilla

Spoon butterscotch onto a plate, place pear on top and garnish with whipped cream.

Comments

Popular Posts