Ashlee - Welcome to your 20's!!

Our little girl, our Woobie, turned 20 years old today. Where in the world did the time go?!

Twenty years ago today, a Sunday, I had an achy back and a eleven days to go in my pregnancy. I took a hot bath (had no idea you're not supposed to do that) and situated myself on the sectional sofa of gray and mauve and put a nice big pillow under my knees. I drifted off to sleep and in my dreams Zsa Zsa Gabor came to me, touched me on the arm and said, "Dahhhhling, it's time! You're going to have a baby!!" It was at that moment that my water broke and it was game on.

Mom and Dad were in the Poconos for the weekend and The Donald called the to get them headed back to Jersey. The Doeles were all in Maine for President's day weekend and were informed we were at Def. Con. 4.

Under the subheading of TMI, Ashlee had decided to not wait for birth to have a bowel movement (the girls were two for two on this) and therefore a concern of the doctor. Rule of thumb, if your water is red or green - think Christmas, it's a concern. God let this paragraph end.

In other news, The Donald had a herniated disc in his back and was really in no condition to do anything. The perfect storm, she was a brewin'.

Princeton Hospital was amazing, Dr. Friedman, a delight. It was decided by Dr. F and Dr. T D (The Donald) that despite my screaming, cursing and scaring every other woman on the maternity who hadn't quite reached my progress, an epideral would only delay things - let's just go for it! Men.

If you know me, you know I love food, I live for food, I cannot go 4 hours without crying for food. I entered the hospital at 2pm, at 7pm I was crying, by 9pm.... "If you love me, you'll get some food in here. Some water, anything please??!!" Nothing.

Ashlee Caroline Doele came screaming, our girls have killer lungs, into the world at 10:10pm. She was hastily carted away by the nurses to clear her little nose and throat - they sounded fine to me. There I was, left in the labor room, alone, in stirrups, all alone. Several minutes later The Donald came in with a cheese danish and a snickers. Like a starved wolf, I began to devour them. A nurse walked in and asked, "How in the world did  you get those already?" I replied, "I ran down the hall but got back here as quickly as possible!"

One of my fondest memories was Mom and Dad being there that evening, they peeked into see Ashlee, her pointly little head and me with all of the blood vessels in my eyes blown -hey folks! The Doeles all hooted and hollered the phone from Maine, after a 5 boy streak, they had a girl in the family.

Ashlee as a child, didn't sleep well, had night terrors, would sing at the drop of a hat, hammed it up for the camcorder (oh I should post those videos!) always tried to please, kept a neat room, tried to kill The Donald and I with her shenanigans in High School, continues to battle and beat the crap out of ED, (Eating Disorder) and has never not been with us on her birthday. I can't explain that feeling. I miss her terribly, yet her and I drive each other insane at a quick pace. Ah, parenthood.

Ashlee, we wish you a very Happy Birthday and we love you with all our hearts. We miss you Woobie.

Comments

Popular Posts