Ribs, Culinary School Injuries & Chef Otto's Cornbread

Occasionally Acme will have ribs, buy 1 get 2 free. The first time I saw this I did the Golden Retriever head tilt. Huh? The ribs are usually baby back and run around $23 a rack. So for $23 I can get 3 racks of ribs. I have no idea what they run normally - hopefully more than $8 a rack. 

I have worked on this rib recipe for years and I think it's tight. Totally stolen from Alton Brown and then adapted a bit. 

Chef Otto's Cornbread Recipe is one I've had since Culinary School in 2000 - Chef Otto shared this one and it was a go to for our 'family meal'. Family meal was something we would mention at the beginning of class and then if we were good and Chef Otto was in a good mood he'd cave and let us make a bunch of stuff to eat. Sometimes he'd just tell us to go to hell. He didn't suffer fools and he spoke his mind. Awesome dude. One time when we were cleaning up and doing all of the dishes and there was an insane number of dishes to do, I turned around as a young man with many piercings swung around with the a plastic cutting board and caught me in the eyebrow. It split right open. I was more shocked by the noise than the pain. Blood ran down my face and Chef Otto came over and said I could tie a string in the young man's nose piercing and haul him around campus. He was just cool that way. I filetted my thumb once on a the top of an oven and the Chef teacher tried to sear it on the stove. tried. 

Okay, back to the recipes. . . . 

1 rack of Baby Back Ribs
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 TBSP Kosher Salt
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne
Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Hot BBQ Sauce (or dealer's choice)

THE DAY BEFORE you want to eat the ribs, mix the sugar, salt, and spices in a bowl. Lay out two long pieces of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Place the ribs, bone side up - remove the sinew on the back. You can do this by sliding your finger under the thin white translucent skin and rip that off - this prevents the ribs from curling too much and it's gross. Now use about a third of the rub you made - YES, YOU MADE RUB MY FRIEND! High five! Rub that all over the back. Flip them ribs and rub the rest on the meaty side. Wrap the ribs up in the foil tightly and pace the baking sheet in the fridge overnight - do 24 hours. I think it makes a difference. 

Next day - ready? Preheat the oven to 250 - yes just 250. Bake the ribs for 2 1/2 hours. After they are done baking remove them from the oven and open the foil - careful now, they are hot and we aren't done yet. Pour off the liquid that has accumulated. Set your oven to broil - if you have low broil do that, if not lower the top rack so it's not right under the broiler. Now coat the top of the ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's and broil so they slowly caramelize. You want a toasted marshmallow thing going on. That's it! You made ribs! High five! 

Chef Otto's Cornbread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 c butter melted
bacon grease

Preheat oven to 425 - Place bacon grease or just several pieces of uncooked bacon in the bottom of muffin tins - I used one pan with 6 large muffins. Heat until oil is smoking. 
Mix all ingredients. Pour into muffin tin and bake for 16 minutes. You made corn muffins! High five! Serve with a lot of butter. Enjoy!!

Stick a fork in me I'm done. High five!



Comments

Popular Posts