Ode to Lauren

16 short years ago Lauren Taylor Doele came howling into the world in Lewisville Texas and our lives where forever changed.

Lauren's name, while sounding a lot like former great Giant Lawrence Taylor, who am I kidding? The Donald did like the ring of LT. She looks nothing like him, well, not a lot.

Lauren was the child that slept 20 hours a day, when she wasn't shotgunning a bottle, she was passed out. I could change her while she slept, wrap her up and put her back to bed. I fell asleep on the sofa after a midnight feeding with her on my chest and when I woke in the morning I thought, "hmmm, Don must have taken her an put her in her crib." Nope, she was sound asleep on the floor next to me. She's a hardcore sleeper.

Lauren, after being put to bed, built a giant pile of clothes in the middle of her floor when she was 18 months, ALL of her clothes and when asked what happened she said, "Don't know." while she stood naked with hands in her hips.

Lauren was the child that was made to sleep in the top bunk and at three, fell backwards right off the ladder - god awful thud!

Lauren was the child that was written up at daycare for biting another child. After two weeks of getting notes and very nervous about other parents forming a mob and lynching us, we expressed our fears to the teacher who said, "Oh she only bites one child." Poor Nick, he's probably still in therapy.

Lauren said, "Mom, Dad! You should see this woodpecker, he's slamming his pecker against a tree really hard!"

Lauren was the child I forgot at school and when I picked her up she said, "Forgot your own child, nice mother you are."

Lauren is the reason we have a Newfoundland, an Afghan hound and had goats.

Lauren cannot keep her running wisecrack dialogue to herself and has been known to mouth off at the most inopportune times.

Lauren rubs her hands together so hard when she's excited we fear she'll eventually have no skin left.

Lauren's head is a magnet for soccer balls, other kids heads and the earth.

Lauren is my favorite person to rock the McDo's dollar menu.

Lauren knows when I need a hug and squeezes me until things crunch and pop.

Lauren, Happy Birthday - we love you!!

Comments

Popular Posts